3 Days Tour
Collio: Vineyards and Castles
Collio is made up of people, borders cultures and lots of vineyards. Explore this area and its history, traditions and values but also taste its wines.
Meet your guide for a panoramic drive through one of the hills towards San Floriano del Collio . Stop at the Sacrario di Oslavia, for a brief tour of this World War One memorial, then proceed to the charming little village on top of this ‘history rich’ location, San Floriano del Collio.
Be welcomed by Count Filippo Formentini for a brief visit of his charming family castle followed by a local aperitif: cheese, local cured meats and a few glasses of some of the best Collio white wines.
Proceed towards Cormons, the heart of Collio along the so called Strada del Vino e delle Ciliegie , passing by the Spessa Castle and its famous golf course: many vineyards and rolling hills after there is the centre of Cormons. In the main square there is the Enoteca Consorzio Collio where a welcome drink will be offered before being taken to the chosen accommodation.
Accomodations to choose from:
- Charming 50 sq metre apartment in a renowned historical establishment set in leafy countryside on the outskirts of Cormons
- Recently refurbished local country house with a swimming pool
- ‘Sleeping at the winery’- Local winemaker’s where guests can soak up the vineyard’s tranquillity just a stone’s throw from the centre of Cormons.
Gourmet dinner in Cormons
Dinner will be at a local restaurant where the cuisine is a hybrid, as this region is a hybrid, being as it is at the crossroads of nations. Care and attention is paid to every dish, choosing excellent ingredients and traditional cooking methods, whilst maintaining a beautiful simplicity.
Relaxing around Cormons as you wish.
- Driving a Yellow Collio Vespa – the typical italian scooter – experiencing this traditional way of travelling, appreciating the beauty of the environment, feeling the gentle Collio hill breezes and its unique smells while exploring this charming area.
- Cycling – based on your experience and wishes you will be offered a city bike, a mountain bike or an electric bike.
Mountain bike training or any support is offered by a team of local instructors who will be pleased to offer any advice, a guided tour or training.
- Walking – explore Cormons and its surroundings following your curiosity or on a route tailor-made for you. The surrounding Collio hills offer a spectacular way to enjoy a relaxing visit in this enchanting area. The view from the nearby Quarin hill is so peaceful you will fall in love with this area.
All of the above can be offered with an experienced local guide or advice can be provided on routes if you would rather adventure off by yourself.
Your guide will suggest a trattoria/agriturismo for your lunch.
Choose a top Collio winemaker and sample some of the best whites in the world or relax at the clubhouse of one of the most prestigious golf clubs in the area.
Cormons boasts over forty winemakers and for this reason is considered the heart and soul of the Collio Goriziano. The local white wines have been recognised as superwhites, some of the best in the world and it is the perfect location for anyone interested in discovering more about this region’s winemaking history and traditions.
Amazing ingredients, flavours and culture
Your stay in the Collio Goriziano will end with a memorable dinner at a Michelin starred restaurant at the foot of the Quarin hills, on the outskirts of Cormons. The owner takes great pride in this region and has built a small and charming complex of apartments next to the restaurant, complete with tennis courts, swimming pool and a children’s playground. All the dishes are a mix of the local Triestine cuisine – jota and gnocchi di susine, for example – but there’s also a variety of friulian dishes including frico , frittata, and orzotto. The kitchen specialises in the Slovenian pastas mlinci and zlikrofi , as well as wild game, roasted or grilled to perfection. The veal shank, carved at the table, simply melts in your mouth. This is authentic and traditionally cooked food that is refined to an exquisite level through added touches such as fried sage leaves, elderberry flower syrup and herb-infused sorbets.
The day will start meeting a local guide that will take guests for a stroll in this beautiful countryside between the vines of one of the best white wine producers of the Collio Goriziano. History, tradition and family stories will accompany you along the winemaking process, seeing the steel tanks, the barriques and the cellar. Guests will sample a few wine varietals – Ribolla Gialla , Friulano , Malvasia – and will have a chance to ask any questions about wine making.
Later and after an informal lunch, or alternatively free time, guest will have the possibility to buy some bottles of wine at the Enoteca Consorzio Collio, the pivotal point around which this area’s winemakers rotate.
Transfer to the airport can be arranged according to guests preferences.